Wedding Ceremony Format &
Civil wedding ceremonies like church ceremonies do have a traditional format.
Point 8,10 and 15 are legally required the other points are optional.
1. Groom, Best Man & Groomsmen arrive – Groom, Best man and Groomsmen take their places next to the Celebrant & await the Bride.
2. Seating of parents and guests – Ushers directs parents and guests to their seats (usually a friend or family member).
3. Celebrant Announces… – “Ladies and gentlemen please be upstanding for the bride.”
4. Processional – Entrance of bridal party to music.
5. Entrance of the Bride – Traditionally the bride enters accompanied by a family member; occasionally she enters alone or with the groom, traditionally to music.
6. Welcome/Introduction – The Celebrant welcomes everyone to the wedding. The Celebrant can provide information on how the couple met and any other information the couple want their guests to know, for example photography.
7. Fist Poem/Reading/Ritual – Opportunity for family/friends involvement – can include a poem/reading, ritual, prayer, music or dance.
8. Monitum – Legal wording spoken by the Celebrant
9. The Asking – The Celebrant asks the bride and groom if they will take the other to be their husband/wife, (‘I do’).
10. The Vows – The bride and groom say their legal vows to each other and then can include vows they have written to each other. They can be read from a card, repeated after the Celebrant or recited from memory.
11. Exchange of rings – One ring, or two rings, are exchanged by the bride and groom.
12. Second Poem/Reading/Ritual – Opportunity for family/friends involvement – can include a poem/reading, ritual, prayer, music or dance.
13. Conclusion and Declaration of Marriage – Couple are pronounced husband and wife.
14. The Kiss – Optional.
15. Signing of the Marriage Register – Bride, Groom, Celebrant and 2 witnesses, who are 18 years or older, sign 3 Marriage documents. A Keepsake is given to the couple. Music is usually played during signing.
16. Mr and Mrs… and Presentation of the Marriage Certificate – The married couple are introduced for the 1st time as … and presented with their marriage certificate.
17. Recessional – Exit of the Bride and Groom followed by the bridal party exit the ceremony site. Music is traditionally played as they exit.